
Australia news live: Crisafulli says ex-minister didn’t warn him about police referral; Ten axes I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!
From 2h agoQueensland premier says he wasn’t warned before minister’s referral to AFP
Andrew Messenger
The Queensland premier revealed he was taken by surprise by the news that his Olympics minister had been referred to the Australian federal police, because Tim Mander didn’t warn him.
Mander reportedly received the news of his police referral on Wednesday night, while in New Zealand. He then spoke at length with his lawyer.
But the minister didn’t communicate the news with him, premier David Crisafulli said.
Crisafulli said he was in a budget meeting on Thursday, around lunchtime, when a staff member passed him a note to inform him of Mander’s AFP referral.
Asked why Mander didn’t tell him earlier, the premier said: “He stepped aside, so I would suggest to you there’s been a consequence for him.”
Mander stood down yesterday over claims he misled the Australian electoral commission about where he lived.
The former Scripture Union head was allegedly enrolled to vote at the home of a staffer, after moving out of his home, due to having an affair with fellow minister Amanda Camm.
Julia Morris and Robert Irwin, after 12 seasons.","elementId":"f7a1d258-3e7a-4bd2-a903-a346c3769717"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The network confirmed the decision to trade publication Mediaweek today, saying that:","elementId":"c98a7a2f-3d75-4a16-97e1-24be660e7a09"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
We have made the decision to rest I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! in 2027 as we focus on offering our audience a range of content on all platforms.\n
We look forward to working with Julia Morris and Robert Irwin on other projects.\n","elementId":"1806a102-af9b-4ebf-8b72-e8fc8b58dabb"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
First launched in Australia in 2015, contestants have included influencer Abbie Chatfield, chef Colin Fassnidge and singer Paulini, but the local version has never reached the heights of popularity it has in the UK.","elementId":"5ceb11be-f6b3-4a96-84ac-e5d96b8a82a3"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The hosts both commented on the decision, with Morris saying:","elementId":"95cf491a-0d04-43bd-af45-d1c6a580ae0f"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
I’m A Celebrity and our whole jungle family who make this show have made it the best working experience of my lifetime. I have loved every moment and will be forever grateful to Beverley and the whole team at Network 10 for not only believing in this show but nurturing it for 12 years. And to our jungle family watching from home, we love you.\n","elementId":"dc7c7342-0bb5-47b0-b938-4629f18eeb7a"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Her co-host, Irwin, said:","elementId":"60d03525-51bd-470c-b9f0-63760bf13c17"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
I want to express what an absolute privilege it has been to work on this show for the past three seasons. I grew up watching this show as so many Aussies do, so to be part of the fantastic team that make this series a reality felt like a dream come true.\n","elementId":"a8ddb2bd-ba5f-457f-8083-6a972a18bfa0"}],"attributes":{"pinned":false,"keyEvent":true,"summary":false},"blockCreatedOn":1779414154000,"blockCreatedOnDisplay":"03.42 CEST","blockLastUpdated":1779414978000,"blockLastUpdatedDisplay":"03.56 CEST","blockFirstPublished":1779414565000,"blockFirstPublishedDisplay":"03.49 CEST","blockFirstPublishedDisplayNoTimezone":"03.49","title":"Ten’s I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! cancelled after 12 seasons","contributors":[{"name":"Amanda Meade","imageUrl":"https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2026/05/11/Amanda_Meade.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=da889bd05f2403ca6ded4bd3f1db3c50","largeImageUrl":"https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2026/05/11/Amanda_Meade.png?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=a82d40e5ada47faf0ad2b29154dead4a"}],"primaryDateLine":"Fri 22 May 2026 04.48 CEST","secondaryDateLine":"First published on Thu 21 May 2026 23.32 CEST"},{"id":"6a0fa9388f080414a3d98ba0","elements":[{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The Queensland premier revealed he was taken by surprise by the news that his Olympics minister had been referred to the Australian federal police, because Tim Mander didn’t warn him.","elementId":"09ba23fa-2999-493f-a82b-eef6e64e7cd0"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Mander reportedly received the news of his police referral on Wednesday night, while in New Zealand. He then spoke at length with his lawyer.","elementId":"8ef80e5e-b557-4420-8219-f9d8dfb3f289"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
But the minister didn’t communicate the news with him, premier David Crisafulli said.","elementId":"987dfc2b-3a23-4240-b742-89a2568b8632"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Asked why Mander didn’t tell him earlier, the premier said: “He stepped aside, so I would suggest to you there’s been a consequence for him.”","elementId":"53245a9a-8b3f-435a-9c65-29c174669ef5"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Mander stood down yesterday over claims he misled the Australian electoral commission about where he lived.","elementId":"b0c3a785-c7bd-4094-ab7e-a8070e2d966c"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The former Scripture Union head was allegedly enrolled to vote at the home of a staffer, after moving out of his home, due to having an affair with fellow minister Amanda Camm.","elementId":"6e31f2fa-fc15-4b3f-b319-9a75fbd1a43a"}],"attributes":{"pinned":true,"keyEvent":true,"summary":false},"blockCreatedOn":1779411256000,"blockCreatedOnDisplay":"02.54 CEST","blockLastUpdated":1779414780000,"blockLastUpdatedDisplay":"03.53 CEST","blockFirstPublished":1779411391000,"blockFirstPublishedDisplay":"02.56 CEST","blockFirstPublishedDisplayNoTimezone":"02.56","title":"Queensland premier says he wasn’t warned before minister’s referral to AFP","contributors":[{"name":"Andrew Messenger","imageUrl":"https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2023/12/05/Andrew_Messenger.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=addd72795829b6fc97e88998a2628cf2","largeImageUrl":"https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2023/12/05/Andrew_Messenger.png?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=4f9bdc0310ae92c35383a671f2fbf273"}],"primaryDateLine":"Fri 22 May 2026 04.48 CEST","secondaryDateLine":"First published on Thu 21 May 2026 23.32 CEST"},{"id":"6a0f96038f08c1daf13f2ae0","elements":[{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Guzman y Gomez, the Mexican-themed fast food chain, is pulling out of the United States in a spectacular turnaround on its American market ambitions, AAP reports.","elementId":"21159bb1-a058-4330-87f8-f5a128398aa9"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The decision was made because the financial performance of the US business was not acceptable or meeting targets.","elementId":"7587baf4-483f-423d-a442-dcd794cbaa93"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Guzman’s US experiment lasted about six years, after it opened its first store in Chicago in January 2020.","elementId":"0003f185-52a1-4ca7-9973-d3016e0a69a6"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
“I realised this was going to take significantly more time and capital than we had expected,” Marks said.","elementId":"27b4fdf8-7748-4205-bb1b-5994b392345b"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Guzman on Friday reiterated that its Australian operation was still growing strongly.","elementId":"0d791682-8e50-4c6b-8cd5-02cb10eb6248"}],"attributes":{"pinned":false,"keyEvent":true,"summary":false},"blockCreatedOn":1779406340000,"blockCreatedOnDisplay":"01.32 CEST","blockLastUpdated":1779406617000,"blockLastUpdatedDisplay":"01.36 CEST","blockFirstPublished":1779406396000,"blockFirstPublishedDisplay":"01.33 CEST","blockFirstPublishedDisplayNoTimezone":"01.33","title":"Guzman y Gomez suddenly leaves the US market","contributors":[],"primaryDateLine":"Fri 22 May 2026 04.48 CEST","secondaryDateLine":"First published on Thu 21 May 2026 23.32 CEST"},{"id":"6a0f89598f080414a3d98ae4","elements":[{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Three people have been charged with murder after a man died after a fall in Sydney’s north-west last week.","elementId":"82b050a3-d757-439b-87dd-7dc0da8f78da"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
NSW police said emergency services were called to a unit complex in Castle Hill on 17 May amid reports a man had been shouting from a balcony. On arrival, officers found the man, 44, suffering serious injuries in a garden outside the building.","elementId":"f79a3c52-d2f9-4379-93b9-aa13417e834a"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The man was treated by paramedics at the scene but could not be revived.","elementId":"6683e075-b3c6-4dfb-b22e-d8dd08d069a5"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
After inquiries, police arrested two men, 38 and 30, and a woman, 34. All three have been charged with murder. They have all been refused bail and will appear in court today.","elementId":"68dc12fd-c15c-474b-835b-958842abbc22"}],"attributes":{"pinned":false,"keyEvent":true,"summary":false},"blockCreatedOn":1779403097000,"blockCreatedOnDisplay":"00.38 CEST","blockLastUpdated":1779403324000,"blockLastUpdatedDisplay":"00.42 CEST","blockFirstPublished":1779403221000,"blockFirstPublishedDisplay":"00.40 CEST","blockFirstPublishedDisplayNoTimezone":"00.40","title":"Three charged with murder in Sydney after man dies from fall","contributors":[],"primaryDateLine":"Fri 22 May 2026 04.48 CEST","secondaryDateLine":"First published on Thu 21 May 2026 23.32 CEST"},{"id":"6a0f7ddf8f080414a3d98aa6","elements":[{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Tanya Plibersek, minister for social services, said the behaviour by Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir was “shameful” and “disgraceful”.","elementId":"d40483ae-c90e-4ee5-b6d2-00e8dc2222a5"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Plibersek, speaking to RN Breakfast, had this to say:","elementId":"9f617d9a-e1cf-4093-b22d-1d2d42a5011b"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
I think it was absolutely disgraceful behaviour and I’m very pleased to say that the foreign minister has said that in the strongest terms to the Israeli government. Our Australian ambassador in Israel has made the position of the Australian government very clear that this behaviour is acceptable, completely unacceptable.\n","elementId":"96184320-4fec-46d1-93a9-28e0a871ddf0"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Greens senator Nick McKim went a step further, telling RN:","elementId":"aadc5fe3-175a-4c53-a24f-8233b59eb6b2"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
That is abhorrent treatment of people by a senior figure in the Israeli government. People are being degraded. They’re having their human rights abused. It is effectively a form of torture. And the simple fact is that Israel is now a rogue state. They’re kidnapping people, including Australian citizens, from international waters on the high seas. It’s basically an act of piracy …\n
Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Dr Hillel Newman, claimed last night no one taken into custody from humanitarian aid flotillas headed to Gaza were harmed, after a far-right Israeli minister posted a video of himself abusing bound activists captured drew widespread condemnation.","elementId":"d2b463f4-efd8-4f9c-9dc0-63662ba8abea"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
The footage showed Israel’s national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, waving an Israeli flag and mocking and taunting the detainees.","elementId":"4cbab576-18a0-4674-b2f7-0312e243071b"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Newman said on ABC’s 7.30 Thursday night the actions of Ben-Gvir “have been condemned from wall-to-wall – from the leadership of the entire state of Israel” but as the election processes were beginning to get under way in Israel, he would not say whether Ben-Gvir would be fired.","elementId":"4839e5ad-c3e4-499f-af8c-cf3da9d5cb87"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
While condemning the incident, Newman claimed those detained from the flotilla weren’t being mistreated. He said:","elementId":"17fe6c10-5d56-4940-b590-44718710c851"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
No one, out of the 400 plus people that were on the flotilla, no one was harmed.
\n The interception itself was done with great sensitivity by the state of Israel, by our security forces.\n","elementId":"101108d5-58b0-44e3-ae68-3b73b4f9a195"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
He rejected claims of violence and sexual abuse towards those who had been detained from flotillas in the past:","elementId":"773f31b7-f5a0-4b5e-bb6b-2b9268dd772e"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
All of the activists travelling aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla who were detained by Israeli authorities this week have been released from detention and are now in Istanbul.","elementId":"9afacc75-5bed-4699-818b-8803f86768b5"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
A statement from the flotilla’s Australian delegation said 428 people, including 11 Australians, were free after spending about 80 hours in detention. The Australians were undergoing examinations at a hospital and will meet with lawyers in the coming days before their return to Australia.","elementId":"4ab8a6b4-ea5d-4839-b9d6-79cb4b8083f6"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement","html":"
Zack Schofield, one of the Australians onboard, said the group was taken to prison and “treated really poorly”:","elementId":"b5dc0237-2d1a-4259-9e00-4bec1edfbf94"},{"_type":"model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.BlockquoteBlockElement","html":"\n
Many of us haven’t eaten for days. We were denied water for two days. … But it is nothing compared to what happens to Palestinians in the occupied territories every single day. …\n
The message to our Australian government is that they need to cut ties with Israel. We need to cancel the alliance, stop sending them weapons parts, stop giving them politi




