
Man charged over Manchester synagogue attack
A man has been charged in connection with the Manchester synagogue attack in which two men were killed. Counter terrorism police said Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St James Road, Higher Broughton, Salford, had been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity. Hakim has been remanded into custody to appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday. There have so far been eight arrests in connection with the attack, however this is the first charge that "relates directly" to the morning of 2 October when two men died as the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation synagogue was attacked by Jihad Al-Shamie. He was shot by police and died at the scene. Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, from Counter Terrorism Policing North West (CTPNW) , said: "This is a significant development in our investigation, and my thoughts are with all those affected by the attack, particularly the bereaved loved ones and survivors. "We have updated them and continue to offer them as much support as possible. "Since the attack took place, we have been unwavering in our commitment to establishing the full picture behind the incident and identifying anybody who may have been involved in any way." In July, Mohammad Bashir, 31, who planned an attack on a military base with the Manchester synagogue attacker was jailed for life with a minimum term of 17 years. He drove his friend Jihad Al-Shamie on a 10-hour round trip to conduct hostile reconnaissance at the UK's Defence Academy in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire, on 14 August 2025. Weeks after that journey, Al-Shamie, 35, was shot dead by police after carrying out the Heaton Park Synagogue attack.




